Your Mental Health
Speak to Us
Your Mental Health
There are many ways that you can mind your mental health through Diversity Sligo:
- Activities: if you want to do an activity such as a sport or music, Diversity Sligo can help you with ideas and with financial help for equipment
- You can find ways of keeping a positive mental health by following Shane Martin’s advice attached
- There is a large amount of information and advice on our Facebook page where you can find activities and exercises to do.
- Befriending programme: we can match you with a volunteer from the community and you can do activities together, such as walks, visiting sites, going to free events, window shopping, going into second-hand shops, going to the library, anything you would like. You tell us what you like to do and we match you with someone with similar tastes.
- Phone Chat: if you would like more support, you can talk to someone in confidence. Listeners have been trained to listen to you. Text 086 232 5951 with “Phone Chat”.
- I-Recovery College have short, relevant and useful courses which you can access through Zoom. We distribute information about the courses every month. Examples of courses: Top Tips for Anxiety; Finding Joy through Gratitude; The Wellness Tool Box; Mindfulness; Getting a Good Night’s Sleep.
- For more serious problems, you can talk to your GP who can refer you to a professional counsellor. However, the waiting times could be long. Counselling is:
- One hour per week, talk confidentially to someone, tell things you cannot tell friends or family
- Get support when you feel bad, have a place not to be judged for who you are and what happened/is happening to you
- Release pain from your heart, a space to cry, to be angry or talk about your fears
- Feelings can cause physical illness
- Explore post traumatic stress in a space where someone understands
- Also talk about your life here, difficulties and hopes, get support with legal applications.
- If you have been a victim of beatings or torture, your GP can refer you to SPIRASI who have a comprehensive service in Dublin.
Remember that you are not alone and that you will find the right person for you to talk to or the right activity for you.