Moving Out

Settling In

You will be asked to pay a deposit equal to a month’s rent. The Sligo County Council Place Finder in Social Housing can talk to you about a deposit and rent in advance. The deposit will be returned when you leave the property in good condition with no rent arrears or unpaid bills. You must give the landlord 28 days’ notice in writing. Pay your bills and take a reading of the electric meter before leaving.


When you move in:

Take a reading of the electric meter and tell the electricity supplier.

When you want to open an electricity account, it is worth considering a PAY-AS YOU-GO METER. Electric Ireland and SSE Airtricity provide this service.


  • No set up cost or €300 deposit
  • Pay-as-you-go helps to manage/control electricity usage without big monthly bills
  • Topping up electricity is as simple as phone top-up. It can be as little as € 10 to as much as €150.

Electric Ireland Pay-as You-Go: 1850 305 095

SSE Airtricity: 1850 81 81 10


Check the heating system.

If storage heaters are installed, you will pay the cost of running them on your electricity bill. They can be controlled by hand.

  • If oil-fired central heating, you can order large or small quantities of oil (minimum € 200). Check Grange Fuels 071 917 3805,
  • McPartland Fuels 071 93 141 32,
  • M & K Oils 071 916 8830,
  • Sligo Fuels 071 916 9552/ 071 916 06 12,
  • Top Oil 071 916 22 38,
  • Texoil 058 73860.

The house might be equipped with a back boiler. You make a fire and the radiators heat up. If you have never made a fire in Ireland, ask for advice as it can be very dangerous.

Avoid drying clothes directly on the heaters as it stops the hot air from circulating and warming the house and it creates mould on walls. Buy a clothes horse instead and dry clothes outside whenever possible.

Check the water-heating system. It is recommended that you do not have it on constantly as it would be very expensive to run. Have in on for two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening to suit your routine. If the tank is not insulated, cover it with a lagging jacket to save on electricity.


There are special arrangements to dispose of your refuse. Some items are recyclable such as cardboard, milk cartons, glass, tins and plastic bottles. Food waste goes into a separate bin and is not allowed in the general waste bin. Companies who collect refuse include

Greenstar at 1890 600 900 

Barna Waste at 1890 200 425.


If you have a television, you must have a television licence costing €180 per year. If you do not have a licence, you could face a fine a €1,000 and a court appearance. After the first year, you can spread the cost over a year by buying television licence stamps at the post office at €4.00 each.


You can get an internet connection by monthly instalments with various companies. You can also use the internet for free in the public library.



Different banks have different rules about opening a bank account. Some only accept passports, some accept an EML 10 signed by the Gardai.

The Credit Union in Stephen Street can save your money and give loans under certain conditions.


Child Benefit

Apply for Child Benefit if you have children. There will be a delay of six months to process your application but you will get the arrears. Forms are in the post office, Citizens Information Centre and online


Recent Posts

Like us on Facebook

Translate »
Share This