Board Code of Conduct
Code of conduct for the Board of Diversity Sligo CLG.
It is the responsibility of board members to:
- Act within the governing document and the law – being aware of the contents of the organisation’s Constitution and the law as it applies to Diversity Sligo CLG.
- Act in the best interests of Diversity Sligo CLG as a whole – considering what is best for the organisation and its beneficiaries.
- Act independently in a personal capacity and not as the representative of any other group/body of which you are a member.
- Manage conflicts of interest effectively by abiding by Diversity Sligo’s Conflict of Interests policy.
- Respect confidentiality – understanding what confidentiality means in practice for Diversity Sligo CLG, its board and the individuals involved with it.
- Attend meetings and other appointments on time or give apologies.
- Prepare fully for board meetings – reading papers, querying anything you don’t understand and thinking through issues in good time before meetings.
- Actively engage in discussion, debate and voting in meetings – contributing positively, listening carefully, challenging sensitively and avoiding conflict.
- Act jointly and accept a majority decision – making decisions collectively, standing by them and not acting individually unless specifically authorised to do so.
- Work considerately and respectfully with all – respecting diversity, different roles and boundaries, and avoiding giving offence.
- Only seek reimbursement for those expenses legitimately incurred in the performance of your role. Such expenses include, but is not limited to:
- The reasonable cost of travelling to and from meetings related to your role
- Reasonable refunds for the cost of meals taken while on charity business.
- The cost of postage and telephone calls on charity business.
- Work to protect the good name of Diversity Sligo CLG – avoiding bringing the organisation into disrepute.
- Accept gifts, hospitality and other benefits only where they meet the following criteria:
- Are unsolicited
- Are not being offered to influence decision-making
- Are of a value of less than €100 and are within the normal standards of courtesy, hospitality or protocol and
- Do not compromise or appear to compromise in any way your integrity as a member of the Board of Diversity Sligo CLG.
- Board members are expected to honour the content and spirit of this code.