Looking for a job
Having your qualifications recognised
If you have qualifications from your own country, you can apply to Qualifications Recognition Ireland (QQI) to have your qualifications recognised. This service is free. Their address is 26-27 Denzille Lane, Dublin 2, tel 01 88 71 500.
If you have your qualifications recognised, it may allow you to join the course you want to attend in Ireland in year 2 or 3.
Register with INTREO in order to look for a job. You will be assigned to a case worker who will help you plan your career. S(he) may offer you courses to improve your chances of getting employment.
You can ask your case officer to refer you to the Jobs Club. This is run at the Sligo LEADER Partnership, Development Centre, Cleveragh Road, Sligo, from time to time over a period of five weeks. You will learn how to write a CV, a covering letter and how to present yourself at interview. You will receive extra money on your social welfare payment. Their phone number is 071 913 88 31.
You can approach recruitment agencies:
- ICE group recruitment, Abbey House, JFK Parade
- Rutledge, Bridget’s Place, off Pearse Road
- Collins Mac Nicholas, JFK Parade.
- Check the newspapers. The Youth Information Centre on Rockwood Parade have free photocopies of the ads pages.
- Subscribe to LinkedIn.
- Ask around. People you know may have heard of jobs.
- If you choose to email your CV or send it by post, make sure to include a covering letter summarising your skills, knowledge and qualities for the job. Follow up with a phone call 10 days later. Treat the call like an interview.
- If you choose to go door to door, have a CV ready to drop in. When you talk to somebody, treat it like an interview.
If you have been receiving Job Seeker’s Allowance for a while, you may qualify for Job Plus, Internships with Job Bridge, CE Schemes and Tus.
Starting your own business
You can avail of advice from Enterprise Sligo tel 0719144779. If you have been receiving Job Seeker’s Allowance for a while, you may qualify for Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, which will allow you to work and also receive an allowance.